SYMPTOM: The program loads to the splash screen but then fades. For the CD version, a message may or may not be given about “Validating CD”.
CAUSES & SOLUTIONS: (In approximate order of frequency, but start with no. 16 if you have version 4.06 CD)
1. The program has not been installed by the computer administrator Solution: Sign on to the machine with the appropriate administrator rights, uninstall the program and reinstall
2. The program is unable to detect a working sound card Solution: Install a sound card if not present. Reinstall sound card driver.
3. Related to (2), In VISTA and WIN 7, the speakers were not connected or recognised or plugged in and switched on before the program was launched: Solution: Plug the speakers in, switch them on, restart the computer and then our program.
4. Your anti-
5. Permission has not been given to access the program Solution: The wordshark-
6. Access to run executables from the CD Drive has been prevented This is rare but some “Parent control” software can prevent access, either completely or outside certain “allowed” times. (See also no.13)
7. There is an earlier version of the program on the machine that has not been fully uninstalled Solution: Go to start / control panel / add or remove programs and uninstall all versions found. Re-
8. The user files have become corrupted Solution: Locate the wordshark-
9. If intermittent (sometimes works, sometimes closes)
A) If using XP, and it always works as an Admin user, but only sometimes as a restricted user, look at XP patch
B) If you have version 3.07 or earlier (go to file/version) check if the program opens consistently at certain times of the day (e.g. Morning, noon, afternoon, evening), but not at others. If this is the case, contact support for the “Guthrie Patch”.
C) This can be also a sign of a dirty disk or disk damage or CD drive out of alignment. Clean the disk and/or use a repair kit. Use a CD drive cleaner. If these do not work, contact us.
D) Try installing the disk on another computer: If it works well on that, contact us.
10. There is a corrupted font within Windows Solution: Removing the fonts from Windows/fonts then placing them back in a few at a time until the problem occurs will identify this or alternatively reinstall the fonts.
11. The software has detected a program that is attempting to copy it, and/or a virtual CD drive Solution: Use the program on a computer that does not have disk copying software or virtual CD drives, OR disable/fully install and remove such software and virtual drives. Programs such as Alcohol, Clone-
12. Regional settings are set to a country with non-
13. “Child Control” or similar parental control program, preventing access to the CD – a growing number of domestic users have parental control programs that prevent children from using the CD drive, and/or from using a CD containing .exe files (as ours do). For the program “Child Control”, open the program and click “Stop monitoring” whenever you wish to use our program.
14. Rarely, a file (possibly publicgames.sha) is missing (deleted or corrupted) from the [word][number]shark-
15. The secdrv is missing or incorrectly set Solution: The security drivers are provided with the operating system. You can download the latest files here: http://www.wordsharksupport.co.uk/xp_patch.html
17. Wordshark or Numbershark, prior to 4.06 CD version only, Win 7 only: TSST Corps CD drives on Win7 machines are unable to read our disks. Usng this CD drive and trying Vista or XP compatibility mode returns the error “Please insert correct CD”. Please use a different (perhaps external) CD drive, or upgrade. We are not able to fix the problems with this particular CD drive firmware.
18. There is a 260 character limit to path lengths. This is rarely a problem unless our program is nested within several other folders, each with long file names themselves. We have encountered a handful of machines with exceptionally long paths / folder names. No error is created on install, but the “Fizzle at splash screen” occurs when attempting to run.
19. There is an issue with your computer that prevents it running Java-
Known Issues: Home User CD Program closes after opening screen