Importing Student Names into Wordshark and Numbershark from School Data Files
This facility can save you or your colleagues from having to type in the names of the students you want to register into Wordshark or Numbershark. It is most worth doing if you want to register 50 or more students. For small numbers it is usually faster to add manually (as described in the main manual)
1. Open Wordshark/Numbershark. Go to File / Version. Check that it is release 3.07 or later. Earlier versions do not have an import facility.
2. f your students log into the computers with unique and recognisable usernames, then a file of these usernames is usually easy to obtain, and doubly useful as you can then use “Automatic logging on”
Check whether your students log onto the computers with unique and recognisable usernames such as:
Billy Smith, Freda Tonks, Willy Wonka, (Note -
Or Bsmith01,Ftonks06,Wwonka03, (Note -
If your usernames have leading digits, E.g. 01Bsmith,06Ftonks,03Wwonka. AND you are using v3.07,3.08,3.09, please email your data file to us to convert into Shark user names: This issue is corrected in Version 4.
4. Having obtained the file of names, open Wordshark or Numbershark. Sign in as an administrator. Go to Admin/Add and Manage/Add Student.
5. Click the button “Import student names”. A browse window will open: Navigate through to your file and open it.
6. In the box that opens, delete any unwanted leading or trailing code or names, then click “OK”.
7. This creates a data file for each student, with .sha extensions, in the [word][number]shark-
8. If you accidentally import unwanted code, then the unwanted .sha files can be deleted from this folder, though you must close the program first. Do not delete “Options.sha”, “Admin Lists”, “Keypad.sha”, “plistrec.sha” or WSTemp.lock as these are needed within the program.