SYMPTOM: The program loads to the splash screen but then fades.
CAUSES & SOLUTIONS: (In approximate order of frequency)
1. The program has not been installed by the system administrator Solution: Sign on to the network with the appropriate administrator rights, uninstall the program and reinstall
2. The program is unable to detect a working sound card Solution: Install a sound card if not present. Reinstall the sound card driver. Do not attempt to run the program from a server, unless it has a soundcard.
3. Related to (2), In VISTA or Win 7, the speakers were not connected or recognised or plugged in and switched on before the program was launched: Solution: Plug the speakers in, switch them on, restart the computer and then our program. If using RDP, ensure you "Enable Sound". If running Terminal Services, the default on Server 2012R2 is that the Audio Service is disabled. Go to Control Panel / Sound / Enable Sound.
4. Your anti-
5. Permission has not been given to access the program Solution: The wordshark-
6. Access to run executables has been prevented This typically is a school network group policy, but see also Viglen & RM pages. Solution: The executables which may need exemption are: javaw.exe, numbershark3.exe or numbershark4.exe, wordshark3.exe or wordshark4.exe
7. There is an earlier version of the program on the machine that has not been fully uninstalled: This is common where a school is moving from CD version to Network version. Solution: Go to start / control panel / add or remove programs and uninstall all versions found. Re-
8. The user files have become corrupted Solution: Locate the wordshark-
9. If intermittent (sometimes works, sometimes closes) AND you have version 3.07 or earlier (go to file/version) check if the program opens consistently at certain times of the day (e.g. Morning, noon, afternoon, evening), but not at others. If this is the case, contact support for the “Guthrie Patch”.
10. There is a corrupted font within Windows Solution: Removing the fonts from Windows/fonts then placing them back in a few at a time until the problem occurs will identify this or alternatively reinstall the fonts.
11. (for CD version only)
12. Regional settings are set to a country with non-
13. “Child Control” or similar parental control program, OR a school group policy prevents access to the program– Review group and other policies and restrictions.
14. Rarely, a file (possibly publicgames.sha) is missing (deleted or corrupted) from the [word][number]shark-
15. (for CD version only)
16. (for CD version only)
17. (for CD version only)
18. There is a 260 character limit to path lengths. This is rarely a problem unless our program is nested within several other folders, each with long file names themselves. We have encountered a handful of machines with exceptionally long paths / folder names. No error is created on install, but the “Fizzle at splash screen” occurs when attempting to run.
19. There is an issue with your computer that prevents it running Java-
20 . You are running NetSupport on XP machines. Details
Known Issues: Network
Program closes after opening screen